Our unique Cold Clamp locates cable breaks & faults to a physical accuracy of better than 1 meter over long distance.
It causes a temporary optical loss marker at a location near the fault, allowing an OTDR user to find the physical fault with great accuracy.
In practice OTDR distance measurement is accurate to 0.5% - 2%. Real-world systems also often have cable coils & undeclared topologies that impact distance measurement. So a cable fault can be hundreds of meters away from an expected location.
- Works brilliantly over long distances
- Reduces network hazard and days of labor as exploratory trenching is eliminated
- Minimizes community disruption and excavation damage
- Finds hidden faults and breaks in fibre cables where there is no visible evidence
- Minimizes service disruption, since it can be used on a live system
- Economical repair allows revival of dark or abandoned fiber lines, reclaiming capacity
- Inexpensive, non-destructive & field proven. Telcordia (Bellcore) report available
- Use your existing training & OTDRs
- Safety kit & work practices are provided. (a small amount of liquid nitrogen is easier to acquire and manage safely than most people think!)
For more detailed specifications, please select a specific part number from the parts & stock page.
|Weight||Empty 6.1 kg, Full 14.1 kg|
|Maximum Cable Diameter||38 mm|
|Known Applicable Cable types||Fiber optic cable, jelly filled with acrylate coated fiber, including armored types.|
|Typical loss created by Cold Clamp||0.21 dB at 1300 & 1550 nm|
|Typical usage of liquid nitrogen||300 ml (15mm non-metallic cable)|
|Liquid nitrogen boiling Point||196 °C|
|10-Liter Dewar||45 days of boil dry time in static conditions|
|Part Number||Description + Applications||MSRP *|
|COLDCLAMP-2||5 Cold Clamps & Consumables||
|COLDCLAMP-4||10 Litre Dewar||
|COLDCLAMP-5||1 Litre Flask||
This product is designed, made, and calibrated in Australia.
Related application notes
Manuals & software