Total uncertainty specification
What it does
Our Total Uncertainty Specification defines the test accuracy to be expected by a user over a range of practical conditions such as:
- The instrument operating temperature range
- The instrument measuring range
- Different optical connector styles
- Different fiber types
Most other manufacturers only define accuracy under:
- Controlled temperature lab environments, or even in an environmental chamber.
- "Under calibration conditions" eg at only one mid-range power level, with one connector style.
- Read the specification notes / small print to find these hidden exclusions...
We have observed absolute errors of several dB on some of these units. The lack of any better specification is not an accident.
See also: Legendary source stability.